Pornography is one of the greatest weapons the devil is using to destroy our world today. From soft porn (sexually explicit contents, erotic, nude or semi-nude individuals or couples acting out) to hardcore pornography (real sexual intercourse on display and other pervasive acts), the consequences is devastating as it makes the individual watching burn with lust, masturbation, and uncontrollable desire to engage in casual sexual activities.
Lots of young people become addicted to porn, not just in one day; it usually starts from enjoying the soft sexual activities on movies, novels, Facebook, YouTube, TV, or carelessly dressed individuals on the street etc, then gradually seeking for those contents on the internet, TV, etc until you become caught up in the web of pornography and you finally discovered you cannot do without watching porn, you crave for it daily to satisfy your sexual desires and fantasies.
Porn is destructive, it pollutes the mind. It reduces women into nothing but sexual objects, and the men as sexual predators! Pornography is sinful, Jesus said whosoever looks at a woman lustfully has already committed fornication with her in his heart (Mathew 5:28). Unfortunately, a lot of Christians are addicted to it, watching porn on their mobile devices, TV, computers etc.
Are you caught up in the web of pornography? You discover you cannot control yourself anymore, the more you try to stop the more you find yourself watching it… if your heart cry today is “oh wretched man/woman that I am who will deliver me from the burden of this death”! I want to congratulate you that today you can break loose from the bondage of pornography if only you can be sincere and allow the Lord take over your life.
The following 16 steps will help you live above pornography and other sexual related sins.
- Surrender your life to Jesus: Accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour is the very first step you have to take. You need to confess your sins to Jesus, ask for His forgiveness, Accept Him as your Lord and Saviour, He will fill you with the Holy Spirit that will empower you to overcome sin and Satan. If you want to learn move visit our Best Decision page.
- Delete all porn movies and pictures on your phone, computers etc. Ensure you clean your devices from those pictures and movies, including website bookmarks and also clear your browsing history. Use filters to block pornography and sexually explicit contents on your computers.
- Leave any Facebook or other social media group that is always displaying nude/semi-nude pictures, block contents from any friend on Facebook who is always feeding you with sexual contents, if you don’t know how to set the filters, simply unfriend them. You are responsible for what you allow in your life.
- Make a decision that you won’t search for porn and sexual contents on the internet, don’t think twice before you close any pop up page with porn materials on them!
- Destroy all porn magazines, novels, pictures, CDs, DVDs in your possession, don’t keep anyone behind.
- Don’t fall for the deceit that porn will enhance your sexual life when you are married; it will only complicate issues for you. Lots of married people are frustrated as a result of their partner’s addiction to porn. Porn will not help your marriage; it can only destroy it as a Christian. Take heed!
- Pray to God to cleanse your heart and imaginations
- Try and avoid places that will tempt you into sexual immoralities, like red light districts, etc.
- Immediately turn your TV off if the program you are watching is tending towards soft porn or any immoral acts, or simply change the channel. Don’t assume you can always stop along the line, one small thing will always lead to another thing and before you know it, you are back to porn again…Discipline yourself, take a decision against porn. Remember the devil will always tempt you, but you have to take your stand! The bible says resist the devil and he will flee, the same bible says “flee fornication”. Wisdom demands that you simply walk or flee out of the tempting environment, be wise!
- If possible, avoid friends that are always discussing porn or pervasive ideas with you. Let them know you are a Christian, and let them know your stand!
- Focus your energy and passion on loving the Lord and fulfilling His desires for your life.
- An empty mind is the devil’s workshop, get busy with positive things, face your career, your life goals, your spiritual life, turn your idle moments around, spend time to pray, meditate, sing, read the bible and gospel literature. Engage in bodily exercises, outdoor games etc
- Follow these two scriptures: the first one is Job 31:1 “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust at a young woman”, so make a decision that your eyes will not look at porn, or look at the opposite sex lustfully. The second scripture helped me too when I was young it’s in 2 Corinthians 10: 5 “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ is the main thing, whenever the thoughts want to cross your mind, say it clearly to yourself, “I bring you thoughts into captivity in Jesus name”!..then try and change whatever you are doing at that moment… you can take a walk, read your bible, or anything that will change the immediate setting…if it’s in the night on your bed, just get up and play a Christian music maybe from your phone, in fact, cultivate the habit of playing lots of Christian worship songs on the bed, it helps your mind. The bible says GUARD YOUR HEART WILL ALL DILIGENCE, for out of it are the issues of life, and always pray for His grace to hold on!
- What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 1 Corinthians 6:19 . You must realize that your body is God’s temple which must not be polluted!
- Discuss with your Pastor or a trusted believer who you can be accountable to. The bible says we should confess our faults one to another and pray for one another so we can be healed (James 5: 16). If you are married, confess and discuss with your spouse also.
- Finally, get busy with God, seek to know Jesus Christ more, the more of Him in your life, the more you can live as an overcomer. “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh” (Galatians 5: 16). Seek to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, be active in your fellowship, join your local church workforce. Work for God! Dedicate your life and your time to Him! Volunteer for noble causes, write articles and send to us, we will be glad to publish them for you…begin to walk and work for God and porn will lose its grip over your life.
Read these points and any other one the Holy Spirit lays in your mind over and over again till it becomes part of your life.
You can connect with me directly on Facebook for a chat… https://www.facebook.com/ojomupaul
Also read others’ comment below about their experiences, it will be of help.
I’m your friend,
Read other articles on this blog:
What Is Really Wrong With Sex Before Marriage
He took off my underwear
I kissed Jezebel
How to attract the right guy
Once upon a valentine
Cynthia must die but Mercy said No
My uncle had sex with me. and many more…
If you have further questions and counseling, feel free to contact us, you can also use the comment box below to reach us.
If this article has helped you overcome your addictions, kindly let us know by commenting below (we won’t publish your full name and email) so others can benefit from your testimony, or send an email to email@example.com
We value your comments.
Hit like and share! Read other articles, visit our home page.
Will you like to get instant updates for new posts? … enter your email address on the sidebar or below to subscribe.